At South Ascot Village School we have a whole school approach to learning and assessing spellings.
We use the Single Word Spelling Test (SWST) to:
- Measure pupils’ spelling attainment with the flexibility of choosing a test appropriate to their individual ability
- Compare pupils’ results with the national average through the identification of Standard Age Scores
- Provide useful teaching strategies for improving spelling and suggestions for follow-up activities
- Present each word in a sentence for context, making the test more relevant for pupils
- Produce spelling ages, percentile ranks and progress scores to provide a comprehensive profile of a pupil's spelling ability